Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Two for One

In My Eyes


I went to see an Ophthalmologist today. They couldn't find my record. Now this wouldn't be too odd considering most of my life I've had better than 20/20 eyesight and I think the last time I had my eyes dilated I was around 8. . However, the Ophthalmologist happens to be my father. Wish you could have seen his receptionist's face when she asked me to fill out the forms.

I have VERY dark brown eyes. Did you know that dark eyes are difficult to dilate? So they popped me with two drops in each eye to do the job right. I'm glad I coerced Rebecca into going with me.. no way I could drive after the eye exam. Funny thing on the way back to the house, we ended up at Barnes and Nobles.
I think it's impossible for that child to go to 'tha city' and NOT stop for a white chocolate mocha. I was so blurry-eyed, I had no idea where we were until I saw the green sign on the building. She just giggled, hopped out of the car and ran into the building before I could protest. Well okay, I did have a Caramel Macchiato.

My Baby ~ #3 of 100 project




She was three weeks late. During delivery the OB patted me on the tummy and said, "Lets hope this baby makes 7 pounds." I hadn't gained much weight with her... the entire second trimester was spent in the hospital with kidney stones, kidney infections, pneumonia and 105 degree fevers. The doctors were worried.... lots of x-rays, tests, drugs, sonograms, and several head-scratching meetings with the urologist, OB and pulmonolgist huddled at the foot of my hospital bed. There were dire predictions of a possible miscarriage... warnings that the medications and treatments used to 'cure' me were dangerous to the baby. Then they discovered that with a low dose of antibiotics every day, all my troubles went away. The third trimester was so wonderful, that the baby decided she wanted to stay... then she ran out of room. Kristin weighed 9 pounds and 6 ounces. Did I mention that I was 22 years old and weighed all of 105 pounds?

She made up for her tardiness by only taking 3 hours to be born. Short, intense, natural labor... I'm not sure I could recommend that to anyone. She never even cried. She just looked around the room with those dark eyes of hers until she heard her daddy's voice...twas love at first sight.
I saw my husband grow up the instant he held her in his arms. She waited for him to come home. That summer, he was working extra tours with the Army National Guard. They don't let you go home for such routine events as your first child's birth. Kristin politely waited till her Daddy could be there. My usually calm husband lost his way to the hospital... the same hospital he was born in 24 years earlier in the same town he'd lived in all his life. But she was patient and made sure everyone had enough time to arrive at the hospital to witness her birth. Her grandfather cut her umbilical cord even as he wondered at the alertness of her steady gaze.. much different than the overly medicated babies he'd helped deliver as a young intern forty years earlier. The OB breathed a sigh of relief when he looked her over. He had worried the most over her well-being. While the other doctors focused on getting me healthy, he focused on keeping her alive.

"
A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world."
John 16 :21







The OB need not have fretted, for God was busy answering a girl's prayer to be a mother. God knew that Kristin, named for HIS son, was the one who would best teach this young couple how to be parents.

I am thankful for the miracle of Kristin's Birth and the joy of being her mother.


Even though her hubby calls her "His Baby"
She'll always be "Our Baby."



Keep the Faith and count Your Blessings.
Amy

No comments: