Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Cry from the Heart

I woke the children up at daybreak. "This may be the only chance we get to enjoy the beach...lets go for a walk." Amazingly enough, they rolled out of bed and out the door in record time. It was so gray that the ocean, beach and sky looked like one. But even that couldn't daunt their enthusiasm.


Hunter grabbed a shovel; Sarah grabbed a wagon; Rachel grabbed Austin and I grabbed a camera. We walked a ways, stopping every now and then to marvel at some treasure tossed up on to the beach by the storm the night before and to let Jess and Becca catch up to us. Then we came to the tide pools. Rippling sand islands surrounded by mini lakes stretched out before us and the kids squealed with joy. Jess and Becca tried to capture the perfect shot of the two of them while Sarah and Hunter waded out into the pool. Rachel, with Austin in the wagon, circled the water coming in as close as she dared without miring down in the mucky sand. Standing in the middle of the tide pool, I turned slowly trying to capture the moments with both my memory and my camera. Suddenly, I heard my name called. I turned to look at Hunter who was crouched down in the water. His eyes were huge, his mouth slack with shock as he tried to call my name again. Then, unable to do anything but cry, he sank back into the water. Before he went under, I gripped him with one hand and hauled him out. Blood soaked us both as I raced across the pool as fast as I could go holding him close and trying not to drop the camera.

I didn't know what had 'gotten' him. And it didn't matter. He called me and I had to answer.

Something cut about a one inch gash on his foot. I wrapped the bloody foot in a towel, held him head down, feet up (to his delight) until the bleeding stopped. The crisis past. Before long, he was digging up crabs and shells.

But I thought about that cry. How I couldn't do anything but run to him...to help him...to save him. The other children faded into the distance and all my attention was on the one who was hurt. I knew exactly where my other children where. I even knew what they were doing...but even so, my very being responded to that cry.

And I thought about God... how when we cry out He hears and He responds. David cried out to the Lord...'I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of my slimy pit, out of the mud, and mire, and set my feet on a rock, and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth...' psalm 40:1

The moment I pulled that bleeding child out of the water, I realized that the God of the Universe would come to the rescue of a single being out of billions. For a loving parent cannot do anything but respond when his child cries out to Him. No matter how slimy, deep or dangerous the pit is, God is coming in to pull one of His own out. Have you cried out to Him? He'll answer.

Keep the Faith ~♥
amy

5 comments:

Martha said...

A beautiful post and a wonderful picture of our Father's love. Thank you.

Framed by Grace said...

This post just blessed the socks off me! I pray your son is all healed!
Amazing that you have 7!! I have 5 and it's get's better everyday!
Thanks again for the gentle reminder that God hears our cries!

kari and kijsa said...

A beautiful post- our hearts tugged thinking about the cry- both from a child and from our lord-
blessings,
kari & kijsa

gillian said...

Hey Amy! Love your blog. So glad I found it!!

Tamara Ann said...

Wow. That's all I can say at the moment. I found your blog through Suzie (Bienvenue) and am so glad I did.
Thank you for sharing your stories.